A leading Italian hi-tech company in the HVAC&R industry
Tightening of a critical component through a controlled and efficient process to guarantee a high-quality product.
✓Integration of the principles of cognitive ergonomics in the process,
✓Labor cost reduction: production waste and operator waiting times reduction,
✓Total quality: process and product quality assurance.
The end user, an Italian world leader hi-tech company in the HVAC&R industry,
asked us for advice to solve the problem of the tightening process of electronic boards.
THE MAIN CRITICAL POINTS:
– a high number of screws at very close distances;
– all the screws have the same diameter but different length (so any screw could be fixed in any position);
– the proximity between the screws (in any cases the distance is few millimeters);
– impossibility to ensure the right tightening in the correct sequence for every screw (it is requested by the customer).
WHAT WE HAVE MADE:
A special BRF orthogonal torque arm with 3 encoders, able to detect the position of the screwdriver, as well as the screw, in the X, Y and Z axes. Encoders communicate with the control unit thanks to the Posix device and can enable the screwdriver in the preset assembly order only when it is in the correct position.
The application has been installed by one of our specialized dealers.
In conclusion, we have adopted a Poka-yoke system in the application of Lean Production principles, with the following advantages:
● Process traceability to guarantee:
– correct tightening of the screw in the preset position,
– tightening sequence/cycle respect,
– tightening of all the screws,
– precise tightening of every single screw with the proper tightening strategy.
● Guaranteed product quality.
● Improve process efficiency and reduction of time waste and labor costs (zero waste).
● Improvement of the operator’s cognitive ergonomics.
TRACEABILITY AND EFFICIENCY IN THE TIGHTENING PHASE OF ELECTRONIC BOARDS